Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Decadent rapini


I went grocery shopping yesterday, but I'm going back to the cottage for a few more days, so I just went in for Kleenex, tea, Diet Coke, and of course, rapini
I got everything on my list, and also left the store with one additional item: A lovely cooked lobster. And there's a reason for that. It was just $7! 
That's because lobster prices are currently at an historic 25-year low
But this being rapini week and all, I had to figure out a way to make the lobster (which was sweet and salty and perfectly cooked, by the by) work with my emerald greens. 
Now, I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything, but I think I've created another winner. 
(Toot toot!) 
LEMONY LOBSTER, MOREL AND RAPINI RISOTTO
(serves 4-6)
Ingredients:
a few dried morel or porcini mushrooms (I got my fat morels at a farmer's market in BC's Cowichan Valley and they're awesome)
about 1/2 cup hot water
3/4 of a bunch rapini, blanched (see how-to on earlier posting at The National Nosh), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbsp butter
1 fat garlic clove, minced
1 large cooking onion, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
4 cups vegetable, chicken or shellfish stock, kept hot on the stove or in a large measuring cup you can microwave
1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1 lb cooked lobster, shelled, meat roughly chopped (tip: when cracking open lobster, let the juice fall into your stock)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
Method:
1. Re-hydrate mushrooms by placing them in a ramekin or small dish, and cover with hot tap water until soft; about 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out liquid, then chop mushrooms and set aside.
2. If your rapini isn't already blanched, do that now.
3. Heat butter in a large pot until melted and foamy. Add in garlic and onion and stir until onion becomes translucent; about 5 minutes in. Stir in rice, coat with butter, then add the first cup of hot stock. Keep stirring over moderate heat until stock is absorbed, and add another cup. Continue stirring and adding stock until stock is finished and risotto is almost cooked (about 16-18 minutes from your start time.) With 2 minutes to go, stir in rapini, wine, Parmesan, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Give it a good old stir, taste it, adjust seasoning, remove from heat, add the chopped lobster and stir. 
Serve hot, and take a bow.

No comments: