Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This just in: Kit Kat Senses

Normally I wouldn't pick up a Kit Kat bar. It's just not my thing. Not enough chocolate, for one, and no peanuts or peanut butter, for two. If I want a milk chocolate fix, I'm all about the Snickers or Reese. And if, perchance, I'm not in a peanuty mood? Then I switch gears and go for plain milk chocolate, as in a Dairy Milk or an Aero bar.
But I digress.
Because today I'm talking about the newish Kit Kat Senses bar -- a slim finger of crispy wafer topped with a creamy hazelnut praline, surrounded by milk chocolate -- because I was sent a sample, and it's not like I'm going to let perfectly good chocolate go to waste. 
The Senses bar is a nice light snack at just 31 grams and 170 calories. I like it, but I don't love it. Some people most definitely will. 
Along with the wee bar came some press material that perked my interest: Did you know that Kit Kats come in all sorts of flavours that play on regional taste differences in dozens of countries? Most are limited edition bars, such as the strawberry, orange, lemon and cinnamon flavoured Kit Kats that hit Canadian shores not so long ago. In Australia you can enjoy Kit Kat Cookie Dough (though I would have called it Kookie dough) and in the UK they've got Kit Kat Tiramisu. 
In Japan, the land of crazy snack food flavours, they've got Kit Kat Kiwifruit and Kit Kat Soy Sauce, but all Kit Kat bars are hugely popular there, due to the candy bar's name and its similarity to the phrase "kitto katsu", which in Japanese translates to: "You will surely win." 

No comments: