Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I lived to tell the tale


I’ve been luging on an Olympic track in Calgary. I’ve been whitewater canoeing in the deepest Manitoba wilderness that I have ever known. I’ve been so close to polar bears along the shores of Hudson Bay that I could hear them snort the mosquitoes off of their noses. Yet I just completed my riskiest assignment ever – and it’s for Cooking Light magazine (of all things).

The challenge? Use a pressure cooker for the very first time.

I did my research, I asked the experts, I took in some youtube demos. And yet it was still so terrifying.

The editors at Cooking Light actually contacted me to write this story for them because they had read and enjoyed this story I wrote for enRoute. I think that’s kind of neat. (Sort of how the biz should work, if you ask me.)

Which begs the question: Then why are they trying to kill me?

This photo is of my first-ever pressure-cooking experience: Pressure-cooked beets tossed in a zippy vinaigrette with dill and walnuts. Delicious.

You can read all about this and other recipes in the September issue of the magazine -- as long as my adventures in pressure-cooking continue to go smoothly.

No comments: